xmlrpc idea for getting around the GIL

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Nov 29 10:57:52 EST 2009

In article <4b0b07a1$0$22159$9b622d9e at news.freenet.de>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

>In any case, I don't think you'll need a multi-process solution; a
>single-process multi-threading approach will do fine. Just create
>*another* thread, that runs at a low priority and is allowed to block.
>Run the Python interpreter in that thread (create multiple of these if
>you need them).  Then, use some queuing producer-consumer communication
>between the high-priority thread and the low priority thread. Have the
>high priority threads put requests into the queue, and the low priority
>thread take them from the queue, dispatching them to Python. Make sure
>you use non-blocking synchronization on the queue, or else priority
>inheritance if you can get permission to do so.

This is close to what I would recommend, but I would suggest that the
low-priority thread make calls out to an external Python process; that
way, you can have a Python worker pool of processes.  Based on what I've
seen posted over the years, I generally recommend against instantiating
multiple interpreter instances (although I've seen some success stories,
I've seen more people butting their heads against the brick wall).

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.