extending optionparser to accept multiple comma delimited input for one arg

cmptrwhz davedartt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 09:20:02 EST 2009

On Nov 27, 2:33 am, Peter Otten <__pete... at web.de> wrote:

> If you had problems understanding the documentation perhaps you can suggest
> an improvement.
>
> Peter
First I would like to thank you very much for the quick and concise
answer this is very clear to me as to what I need to do now. Thank you
so much.

The one thing that threw me off and confused me is that I went back in
the docs to see what actions are available to see if extend was an
allowable action.  in section 14.3.2.4 Other actions, I did not see
that extend was a valid action so I looked thru section 14.3.3.3
Defining options and this section did not show extend as a valid
action.  I believe that if there was a complete disclosure of actions
available then I would have seen the error in my thinking.  Everything
else made sense up to the point of where the subclass was described in
the docs as above but if the next couple lines you gave me was added
to this section (14.3.5.2 Adding new actions) it was have completed
the confirmation I needed that it was ok to type in extend as an
action.  Maybe I am still not understanding this concept fully still
but I hope I am making sense with my point.

So my suggestion would be to include this tidbit of extra as you have
described to me in the section 14.3.5.2 and all would have been as
clear as sunshine.  :) thank you again for your time and listening to
my thoughts.

parser = OptionParser(option_class=MyOption)
parser.add_option("-i", "--input", action="extend")

options, args = parser.parse_args()
print options