How to log messages _only once_ from all modules ?

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Wed Nov 25 06:58:21 EST 2009

Barak, Ron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to add the logging module to my application, but I seem to
> be missing something.
> My application (a wxPython one) has a main script that calls various
> helper classes.
> I want the log messages from all modules to go to one central log file.
>
> When I implement logging, I think that due to preparation, I get the
> same message more than once.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> [snip example]
>
> Could you suggest what should I change in the above scripts so that
> the log messages would appear only once ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron.

If you are starting with the logging facility, I would suggest to add
handlers only to the root logger (in your __main__ section).

Basically, never configure or add handlers to any logger except for the
root logger in your __main__ section. There are very few reasons why you
would break this rule. And when you'll be familiar with the logging
module you'll when to break it.

[server.py]

import logging
import logging.handlers

logger = logging.getLogger(__name__) # you'd better to create the logger
at the module level, you may want to log within   the module function

def aFunction(a, b, ,c):
    logger.debug('You called aFunction')

class Server():
    def __init__(self):
        self.logger = logger

    def util(self):
        self.logger.warning('This message comes from Server module ')

[client.py]

import logging
import logging.handlers
from server import Server

logger = logging.getLogger(__name__)

class Client():
    def __init__(self):
        self.logger = logger

    def client_test(self):
        self.logger.warning("This message comes from Client module")

if __name__ == "__main__":
    rootLogger = logging.getLogger()
    rootLogger.addHandler(logging.FileHandler("client.log"))
    rootLogger.handlers[-1].setFormatter(logging.Formatter("%(asctime)s
%(name)-12s %(levelname)-8s %(message)s"))
    rootLogger.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)
    ser = Server()
    cli = Client()
    ser.util()