UnicodeDecodeError? Argh! Nothing works! I'm tired and hurting and...

Tue Nov 24 08:02:09 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:06:29 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> 6. Googling, yes, it seems Thunderbird has a habit of "forgetting"
> mails. But they're really there after all. It's just the index that's
> screwed up.
[...]
> And I'm hesitant to just delete index file, hoping that it'll rebuild.

Right-click on the mailbox and choose "Rebuild Index".

If you're particularly paranoid, and you probably should be, make a
backup copy of the entire mail folder first.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recover_messages_from_a_corrupt_folder
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail

Good grief, it's about six weeks away from 2010 and Thunderbird still
uses mbox as it's default mail box format. Hello, the nineties called,
they want their mail formats back! Are the tbird developers on crack or
something? I can't believe that they're still using that crappy format.

No, I tell a lie. I can believe it far too well.

--
Steven