Go versus Brand X

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 03:36:33 EST 2009

Aahz wrote:
> In article <7ms7ctF3k2a79U1 at mid.individual.net>,
> Gregory Ewing  <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> However, Go's designers seem to favour using the absolute minimum
>> number of characters they can get away with.
>>
>> Although if they *really* wanted that, they would have dropped most of
>> the semicolons and used indentation-based block structure instead of
>> curly braces. I would have forgiven them several other sins if they'd
>> done that. :-)
>
> That's essentially my issue with Go based on the code samples I've seen:
> no over-arching design sensibility at the syntax level.  It looks like an
> aggolomeration of semi-random C-like syntax.  There's nothing that
> shouts out, "This is a Go program," unlike Python, C, and even Perl.

I think there is an overall design sensibility, it's just not a human-facing
one. They claim that they designed the syntax to be very easily parsed by very
simple tools in order to make things like syntax highlighters very easy and
robust. So indentation-based blocks are right out.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco