Writing a Carriage Return in Unicode

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 05:38:36 EST 2009

On Nov 21, 11:33 pm, Gregory Ewing <greg.ew... at canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:
> Steve Howell wrote:
> > If you are
> > going to couple character sets to their legacy physical
> > implementations, you should also have a special extra character to dot
> > your i's and cross your t's.
>
> No, no, no. For that device you need to output a series
> of motion vectors for the scribing point. Plus control
> characters for "dip nib" and "apply blotter", and
> possibly also "pluck goose" for when the print head
> becomes worn.

Greg, at the first reading of your response, it sounded overly
complicated for me to have to "dip nib" and  "pluck goose" every time
I just want to semantically indicate the ninth letter of the English
alphabet, but that's easily solved with a wizard interface, I guess.
Maybe every time I am trying to decide which letter to type in Word,
there could be some kind of animated persona that helps me choose the
character.  There could be a visual icon of an "eye" that reminds me
of the letter that I am trying to type, and I could configure the
depth to which I dib the nib with some kind of slider interface.  It
actually sounds quite simple and elegant, the more that I think about
it.