python simply not scaleable enough for google?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Fri Nov 20 12:51:49 EST 2009

On 20 Nov, 11:12, Robin Becker <ro... at reportlab.com> wrote:

> Presumably that means they could potentially run in parallel on the 100000 cpu
> machines of the future.
>
> I'm not so clear on whether the threadless tasklets will run on separate cpus.

You can make a user-space scheduler and run a 100000 tasklets on a
threadpool. But there is a GIL in stackless as well.

Nobody wants 100000 OS threads, not with Python, not with Go, not with
C.

Also note that Windows has native support for "taskelets", regardless
of language. They are called "fibers" (as opposed to "threads") and
are created using the CreateFiber system call. I would not be
surprised if Unix'es has this as well. We do not need Stackless for
light-weight threads. We can just take Python's threading modules' C
code and replace CreateThread with CreateFiber.