python gui builders

Simon Hibbs simon.hibbs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:15:25 EST 2009

On 17 Nov, 23:25, Kevin Walzer <k... at codebykevin.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/09 4:25 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>
> > +1 Tkinter for the simple stuff
>
> You can actually use Tkinter to do quite sophisticated GUI's that rival
> anything found in Qt or wx...

Neither Tkinteror Wx have anything that come close to QGraphicsView,
the Model-View-Delegate framework, the Phonon multimedia framework
integration, QtSQL, QtXML, QtSVG, and the many other first grade
components in Qt. You can substitute components from other frameworks,
e.g. for database access, but then you lose the integration QtSQL has
with the model-view-delegate features in other parts of the Qt world.

Qt is much more than just a GUI framework, it's more of a rival to
something like the MacOS development libraries, or the .NET framework
in terms of the library facilities it offers. I think that's why Nokia
bought into it. Qt provides them with a platform with the potential to
rival the iPhone dev environment.

Of course to take full advantage of it you need to invest in learning
it all, which is non-trivial. It comes at a cost in time and potential
lock-in. But the point is you can't just say Qt is just like Wx.

Simon Hibbs