New syntax for blocks

greg greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Nov 18 00:28:11 EST 2009

r wrote:
> I think the syntax was chosen because the
> alternatives are even worse AND since assignment is SO common in
> programming, would you *really* rather type two chars instead of one?

Smalltalk solved the problem by using a left-arrow character
for assignment. But they had an unfair advantage in being
able to use a non-standard character set on their custom-built
machines.

We should be able to do a lot better now using Unicode.
We could even heal the <> vs != rift by using a real
not-equal symbol!

--
Greg