python simply not scaleable enough for google?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Mon Nov 16 00:02:13 EST 2009

On 16 Nov, 05:09, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:

>       Python is a very clean language held back from widespread use by slow
> implementations.

Python is clean, minimalistic, and beautiful.

Python don't have bloat like special syntax for XML or SQL databases
(cf C#) or queues (Go).

Most of all, it is easier to express ideas in Python than any computer
language I know.

Python's major drawback is slow implementations. I always find myself
resorting to Cython (or C, C++, Fortran 95) here and there.

But truth being told, I wrote an awful lot of C mex files when using
MATLAB as well. MATLAB can easily be slower than Python by orders of
magnitude, but it has not preventet it from widespread adoption.
What's keeping it back is an expensive license.