A "terminators' club" for clp

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 18:42:38 EST 2009

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> r wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 4:59 am, kj <no.em... at please.post> wrote:
>>> But, as I already showed, I'm out of my depth here,
>>> so I'd better shut up.
>>
>> Don't give up so easy! The idea is great, what Paul is saying is that
>> most people who read this group use newsreaders and that has nothing
>> to do with google groups. These guy's have kill filters for just this
>> sort of thing but either way the emails are on their puters so they
>> have to deal with them on an individual basis. It would be nice
>> however to clean up the Google group version and rid it of the plagues
>> of spam infestations.
>
> Anyone with a newsreader can, like me, read gmane.comp.python.general,
> which mirrors python-list, which now filters out much/most of the spam
> on c.l.p from G.g.

The same is true on some (not sure if it qualifies for many) Usenet
servers.  I use news.individual.net for example (for a modest yearly
fee as of a few years ago) and in my experience it does a great job at
filtering spam.  I'm sure there are other services that do as well.  I
don't have to manage any special filters and don't seem to see any of
the stuff in this group, for example, mentioned in this thread.

I do use gmane for a lot of other lists (including python-dev) that
aren't operated as a Usenet newsgroups and it's an excellent service.

-- David