python simply not scaleable enough for google?

Paul Rubin http
Sun Nov 15 15:01:57 EST 2009

falk at mauve.rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) writes:
> >If you change the Python language to address the semantic problems
> >Willem lists in his post and also add optional type declarations,
> >then Python becomes closer to Common Lisp, which we know can be
> >executed efficiently, within the same ballpark as C and Java.
>
> Ya know; without looking at Go, I'd bet that this was some of the thought
> process that was behind it.

I don't have the slightest impression that Python had any significant
influence on Go.  Go has C-like syntax, static typing with mandatory
declarations, and concurrency inspired by Occam.  It seems to be a
descendant of Oberon and Newsqueak (Pike's earlier language used in
Plan 9).  It also seems to be decades behind the times in some ways.
Its creators are great programmers and system designers, but I wish
they had gotten some PL theorists involved in designing Go.