python simply not scaleable enough for google?

Rami Chowdhury rami.chowdhury at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 01:46:12 EST 2009

On Saturday 14 November 2009 18:42:07 Vincent Manis wrote:

> 3. Very clearly CPython can be improved. I don't take most benchmarks
>  very seriously, but we know that CPython interprets bytecode, and
>  thus suffers relative to systems that compile into native code, and
>  likely to some other interpretative systems. (Lua has been
>  mentioned, and I recall looking at a presentation by the Lua guys on
>  why they chose a register rather than stack-based approach.)

For those interested in exploring the possible performance benefits of
Python on a register-based VM, there's Pynie
(http://code.google.com/p/pynie/)... and there's even a JIT in the works
for that (http://docs.parrot.org/parrot/1.0.0/html/docs/jit.pod.html)...

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is
never sure". -- Segal's Law
408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 0189-245544 (BD)