Python & Go

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 00:03:50 EST 2009

On Nov 14, 7:18 pm, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:
>      Leaving out exceptions was a mistake.  Exceptions are well understood now,
> and they're far better than the usual "ignore errors" approach one sees in lamer
> C programs.

I am also surprised about the lack of exceptions. I could infer that
Rob Pike and Ken Thompson are idiots that lack experience with
languages with exceptions, or I could infer that they have reasons for
doing so. I do not know about exceptions enough to have an opinion
myself. However I will notice that in Python, when using threads,
exceptions do not work so well: if I forget to trap an exception in a
thread I see a traceback on stderr, but the other threads continue to
run, basically ignoring the exception. Probably the language that get
things right is Erlang, which is supervising all crashed process and
it is designed to safely recover for unexpected events.