python simply not scaleable enough for google?

Robert Brown bbrown at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 13 21:02:06 EST 2009

Vincent Manis <vmanis at telus.net> writes:
> My point in the earlier post about translating Python into Common Lisp or
> Scheme was essentially saying `look, there's more than 30 years experience
> building high-performance implementations of Lisp languages, and Python
> isn't really that different from Lisp, so we ought to be able to do it too'.

Common Lisp and Scheme were designed by people who wanted to write complicated
systems on machines with a tiny fraction of the horsepower of current
workstations.  They were carefully designed to be compiled efficiently, which
is not the case with Python.  There really is a difference here.  Python the
language has features that make fast implementations extremely difficult.

bob