python simply not scaleable enough for google?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Nov 13 16:48:44 EST 2009

Aaron Watters wrote:
> On Nov 11, 3:15 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> I can imagine a day when code compiled from Python is routinely
>> time-competitive with hand-written C.
>
> That time is now, in many cases.

By routinely, I meant ***ROUTINELY***, as in
"C become the province of specialized tool coders, much like assembly is
now, while most programmers use Python (or similar languages) because
they cannot (easily) beat it with hand-coded C."  We are not yet at
*tha* place yet.

> I still stand by my strategy published in Unix World
> ages ago: get it working in Python, profile it, optimize
> it, if you need to do it faster code the inner loops in
> C.

Agreed

By the way: the GO language smells like Rob Pike,
and I certainly hope it is more successful than
Limbo was.  Of course, if Google decides to really
push it then it's gonna be successful regardless
of all other considerations, just like Sun
did to Java...

 > By the way: the GO language smells like Rob Pike,
 > and I certainly hope it is more successful than

It still has the stupid, unnecessary, redundant C brackets, given that
all their example code is nicely indented like Python. That alone is a
deal killer for me.

Terry Jan Reedy