3.x and 2.x on same machine (is this info at Python.org??)

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Fri Nov 13 06:05:48 EST 2009

Dan Bishop wrote:
> On Nov 12, 1:52 pm, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Currently i am using 2.6 on Windows and need to start writing code in
>> 3.0. I cannot leave 2.x yet because 3rd party modules are still not
>> converted. So i want to install 3.0 without disturbing my current
>> Python2.x. What i'm afraid of is that some SYSVARIABLE will get
>> changed to Python3.0 and when i double click a Python script it will
>> try and run Python 3.x instead of 2.x. I only want to run 3.0 scripts
>> from the command line... > python3.x myscript.py
>>
>> So how do i do this? Is my fear unfounded?
>>

> Windows determines the double-click action based on the file
> extension.  You just have to make sure that *.py files are associated
> with 2.x.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

And if someone simply wants to check or change these associations
without all the Explorer nonsense, one can use
   assoc.exe    and    ftype.exe

Using them without parameters lists all association information.  Using
them with parameters let you examine and/or change a single association.

M:\Programming\Python\sources\dummy>assoc .py
.py=Python.File

M:\Programming\Python\sources\dummy>ftype python.file
python.file="C:\PROGFI~1\ACTIVE~1\python.exe" "%1" %*

Similarly for .pyw extension

DaveA