Python & Go

Patrick Sabin patrick.just4fun at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 16:22:42 EST 2009

kj wrote:

> I'm just learning about Google's latest: the GO (Go?) language.
> (e.g. http://golang.org or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s).
> There are some distinctly Pythonoid features to the syntax, such
> as "import this_or_that", the absence of parentheses at the top of
> flow control constructs, and quite a few statements without a
> trailing semicolon.  Then again, there's a lot that looks distinctly
> un-Pythonlike, such as the curly brackets all over the place.  And
> among the un-Pythonlike stuff there's a lot that looks like nothing
> else that I've ever seen...

I don't see many similarities with python, especially it's syntax looks
completely different to me. Google Go introduces many new concepts.
Interfaces work a little bit like duck typing. You may call that
python-style. And it has go-routines, which are a bit similar to
generators (although I haven't look at them in detail). There is no
exception handling, but channels should be able to substitute them,
although I haven't checked that.

At a first look it seems, that using Google Go effectively, someone has
to relinquish many programming habits and adapt lots of new ones.

- Patrick