Python & Go

Vincent Manis vmanis at telus.net
Thu Nov 12 01:53:37 EST 2009

On 2009-11-11, at 21:27, Mensanator wrote:
>> Go doesn't support inheritance, so C++ is pretty much out. C
>> is a lot closer, but still not all that close.

OK, if that's the case (I haven't read the Go documents), then Go is nothing like Python, no matter how many or few semicolons there are in Go programs, or whether one imports external code modules with `import', `require', or `iwant'.

Programming languages are similar if their *semantics* are similar, not if their *syntaxes* are similar. A device that apparently has brake and accelerator pedals is similar to a car if the functions of these two pedals match those of a car, and is different from a car if the `brake' causes bread to be inserted into a toaster and the `accelerator' drops a 16ton weight on the driver.

-- v