CGI vs mod_python

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Wed Nov 11 15:32:51 EST 2009

Victor Subervi wrote:
> <snip>
> The problem was not CGI. It turned out to be line-endings being mangled by
> Windoze and __invisible __ in my unix editor. Lovely.
> Thanks anyway,

That's twice you've blamed Windows for the line-ending problem.  Windows
didn't create those crlf endings, your text editor did.  If your editor
can't control that, you could try a different one.  Komodo for example
can do it either way, or it can preserve whatever is being used in the
loaded file.  Similarly metapad, in spite of its huge simplicity, lets
you decide, and can convert an existing file in either direction.

And I'm a great believer in visible control characters.  I configure
Komodo to show me spaces in the lines, so I can see whether it's a tab
or a space.  It can also be configured to show end-of-line characters,
so I presume that'd work here.  See whether your Unix editor can show
you this sort of thing.

Finally, many FTP programs can be told to automatically convert
line-endings when transferring text files.  There's probably some risk
that it'll mangle a non-text file, but it's worth considering.

DaveA