Choosing GUI Module for Python

Lorenzo Gatti gatti at dsdata.it
Wed Nov 11 03:48:26 EST 2009

On Nov 10, 11:08 pm, Simon Hibbs <simon.hi... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since QT runs on Windows,
> porting to the Windows version of QT shouldn't be hard.

The PySide developers, who are better judges of their own project than
you and me, consider a Windows port so hard (and time consuming) that
they didn't even try; a second iteration of the already working
binding generator has a higher priority than supporting a large
portion of the potential user base with a Windows port, so don't hold
your breath.

On a more constructive note, I started to follow the instructions at
http://www.pyside.org/docs/pyside/howto-build/index.html (which are
vague and terse enough to be cross-platform) with Microsoft VC9
Express.
Hurdle 0: recompile Qt because the provided DLLs have hardcoded wrong
paths that confuse CMake.
How should Qt be configured? My first compilation attempt had to be
aborted (and couldn't be resumed) after about 2 hours: trial and error
at 1-2 builds per day could take weeks.

Regards,
Lorenzo Gatti