New syntax for blocks

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 03:08:58 EST 2009

On Nov 11, 1:25 am, Steven D'Aprano
<ste... at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
(snip)

> Incorrect.
> False
> False

Of course i meant True/False but my fingers were thinking None at the
time. And besides if i don't make a mistake here or there what ever
would you do with your time? ;-)
Seven += 1

> >    #variable "var" will never be created!
> That will cause no end of trouble.
> if range(N) as var:
>     do_something_with_var()
> if var:
>     print "Oops, this blows up if N <= 0"
> Conditional assignments are a terrible idea.

Yea it's called a NameError. Would it not also blow up in the current
state of syntax usage?

if var:
    print 'var'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#45>", line 1, in <module>
    if var:
NameError: name 'var' is not defined

Steven -= 1

> Why is the third example, with an if... test, so special that it needs
> special syntax to make it a two-liner?

...because Beautiful is better than ugly.

> Would you suggest we can write this?
> # instead of var = range(N)
> p = range(N).index(5) as var  # var might be range(N), or undefined.
> var.append(42)

No if you read my post my usage of this syntax only includes "if" and
"elif" constructs and nothing "else" because usage outside of such a
"truth-seeking" construct is pointless.

print Steven -> 0
Hmm, just as i suspected.