on "Namespaces"

Rhodri James rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 20:47:37 EST 2009

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 21:20:23 -0000, webtourist <webtourist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> New bie Question:
> in "Zen of Python" - what exactly does the last one mean ? -
> Namespaces are one honking great idea -- let's do more of those!
>
> I mean why the emphasis ? Is it like saying "put modules into
> packages" in other programming paradigm s ?

Like all things zen, 'meaning' as applied to this koan is a shifting
concept best considered after deep meditiation on... oh, who am I kidding.

If you keep names in separate namespaces, you are less likely to screw up
by forgetting that you meant something else by that name 30 lines above.
It's less about "put modules in packages" and more about "put code in
modules."

Corollary: what happens after "from somewhere import *" is all your own
fault.