Choosing GUI Module for Python

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Nov 9 15:07:14 EST 2009

On 2009-11-09, Dave Cook <davecook at nowhere.net> wrote:
> On 2009-11-09, Antony <anthoniraja at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  1. PyGTK
>>  2. PyQT
>>  3. PySide
>>  4.  wxPython
>>  5 . TKinter
>
> For cross-platform work, I'd choose either PyQt or wxPython.
>
> If you're not too worried about the dual license, I find PyQt
> the best combination of ease of use and features, particularly
> when used with Qt Designer.
>
> For commercial work, I'd use wxPython, which has a very
> liberal license.  It's fairly featureful, but not very
> pleasant to use.

NB: One thing to I've noticed about wxPython is that if you
follow the rules carefully, the cross-platform behavior
consistency is pretty decent.  However, if you're not careful,
it's easy to do something the "wrong" way and have it still
work fine on one platform, but not on another.  During
development, you need to test frequently on all the platforms
you care about.  If you wait until the end to test on that
second/third platform, you may have accumulated enough minor
problems that it becomes a real chore to try to figure them all
out.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Why don't you ever
                                  at               enter any CONTESTS,