2to3 on Mac - unknown encoding: mbcs

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Nov 6 01:42:30 EST 2009

En Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:50:57 -0300, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com>
escribió:

> I tried naively running 2to3 over the SpamBayes source code on my Mac
> and got this traceback:
>
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "/Users/skip/local/lib/python3.2/lib2to3/pgen2/tokenize.py",
> line 281, in find_cookie
>         codec = lookup(encoding)
>     LookupError: unknown encoding: mbcs
>
> SpamBayes does have several files which contain the "mbcs" coding
> cookie:
>
>     ./windows/py2exe/gen_py/addin-designer.py
>     ./windows/py2exe/gen_py/office-9.py
>     ./windows/py2exe/gen_py/outlook-9.py
>
> After a little hunting I came across the docs for the codecs module,
> which for "mbcs" states:
>
>     Windows only: Encode operand according to the ANSI codepage (CP_ACP)
>
> Is there something I can use to replace the mbcs coding cookies which
> will allow 2to3 to process these Windows-specific files?

Using mbcs as the source encoding declaration is evil (and stupid too).
mbcs means "whatever encoding is currently configured in Windows", it is
not a specific encoding.
You have to guess which encoding those files are in. windows-1252 (almost
the same as latin-1) is the one used in "Western Europe", which covers an
area much broader than its name.

Good luck,

--
Gabriel Genellina