Web development with Python 3.1

rustom rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 07:38:40 EST 2009

On Nov 5, 5:16 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
42.desthuilli... at websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
> rustom a écrit :
>

> > On Nov 5, 2:23 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
> > 42.desthuilli... at websiteburo.invalid> wrote:

> >> Poor man's template... It only do variable substitutions - no branching
> >> nor iteration (and let's not talk about macros, inclusions, filters etc).
>
> > I realised that that link
> >http://simonwillison.net/2003/Jul/28/simpleTemplates/
> > was written in 2003
>
> > Subsequently python has sprouted something explicitly templateish
> >http://docs.python.org/library/string.html#template-strings
>
> Still poor man's template. Just don't hope to do any realworld web
> templating with this.

This is said in the context of some of Dotan's quotes eg.

> I am not a programmer by trade, only by hobby.
> I want to learn Python not Django
etc

Python is generally imperative.
Templates are by and large declarative.

To get this 'Aha' across to him (remember he said hes a mechanical
engineer) is (IMHO) more important than converting him to some moral
high ground of reusability or some other nice software engineering
jargon.