Tkinter callback arguments

Wed Nov 4 19:39:25 EST 2009

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:50:42 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> * Gabriel Genellina:
>>
>> I don't understand either. R1 and R2 have *different* semantics.
>
> Assume that they have the very exact same semantics

Why would we assume that when you have explicitly told us that they don't?

You stated categorically that they behave differently when you assign to
the attribute/property "top". According to your own description, setting
R1.top moves the rectangle, while setting R2.top resizes it. Perhaps the
difference between "move" and "resize" is too subtle for you, but you can
trust us on this, they are different semantics.

> --  like two TV
> sets that look the same and work the same except when you open 'em up
> and poke around in there, oh holy cow, in this one there's stuff that
> isn't in the other.

Whether "top" is an attribute or a property is irrelevant, it is still
part of the public API of the class. Such public attributes are NOT
private internal details, they are part of the public interface. You've
been told this repeatedly. Perhaps one more time may help:

Public attributes are public.

--
Steven