Python 3 [was Re: substituting list comprehensions for map()]

Wed Nov 4 18:44:50 EST 2009

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 23:08:54 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steven at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:43:45 -0600, Robert Kern wrote:
>> > from numpy import dot
>> >
>> > scalar = dot(vec1, vec2)
>>
>> Why would I want to use an already existing library that is fast, well-
>> written and well-supported, when I can toss together a nasty kludge
>> myself?
>
> Because using that library will ensure you can't migrate to Python 3 any
> time soon?

Why would I want to migrate to Python 3 any time soon? 2.5 and 2.6 meet
my needs (so far), and the new features in Python 3 aren't especially
compelling to me. Particularly if migrating to 3 requires me to re-write
all the libraries, where's the advantage?

--
Steven