Pyfora, a place for python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Nov 4 14:10:19 EST 2009

Valentina Boycheva wrote:

> I was following this discussion first with curiosity and then with
> increasing disbelief.

 > So stop following it. Really.

> As a scientist and a programmer, I always
> considered myself belonging to a group of people who are broad-minded
> and task-oriented.

Ditto.
I read python-list as the newgroup gmane.comp.python.general and only
download the posts I select, which is well less than half, depending on
my mood;-).  -- which is to say, whether or not I am looking for
time-wasting entertainment ;-)

> Being an occasional Python programmer, I subscribed to this list in the
> hopes of learning from the pros. Most of the time I do. But I also see a
> disturbing trend of petty bickering, splitting hairs and one-upmanship.

I have been reading for over 10 years and see no increasing trend. The
worst times were definitely in the past.

> I understand there will be occasional language slips and misconstrued
> jokes but can we please stick to the topic and remain courteous at all
> times?

I completely agree, but have given up most admonishments ;-)

 > I am seriously considering unsubscribing from this UL

That would be a shame.

> (and maybe joining Pyfora.)

That should be an independent decision. Most PHPBBS web forums I have
seen are about the same or worse as far as civility.

Terry Jan Reedy