CentOS 5.3 vs. Python 2.5

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Nov 25 01:42:28 EST 2009

    My dedicated hosting provider wants to switch me to a new server with
CentOS 5.3, so I have to look at how much work is required.

    CentOS 5.3 apparently still ships with Python 2.4.  Worse, it
requires Python 2.4 for its own internal purposes, and actually
installing Python 2.5 breaks the package manager.  There's
no supported RPM for upgrading.

    It's apparently necessary to build Python 2.5 from source,
build all the packages, and debug.  Nor does that "just work".
There's documentation, but some of it is in Japanese.

http://blog.bashton.com/2008/python-25-rpms-for-rhel-5-centos-5/

Google Translate gives me

"[...] On this entry uses the src.rpm. Kitara dropped, rpmbuild-rebuild
(rpm-rebuild, but often seen the entry, it says, there's this option only old

I'm trying to figure that out.

				John Nagle