attributes, properties, and accessors -- philosophy

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Nov 23 13:52:00 EST 2009

The problem I have with properties is my typing.  I'll end up assigning
to an attribute, but get the spelling slightly wrong (capitalized, or
missing an underscore -- non-obvious things when bug-hunting), so now I
have an extra attribute which of course has zero effect on what I'm
trying to do and I start getting wierd results like viewing deleted
records when I *know* I set useDeleted = False... 30 minutes later I
notice it was /supposed/ to be use_deleted.  *sigh*

So -- to keep myself out of trouble -- I have started coding such things
as, for example:

result = table.use_deleted()       # returns True or False
table.use_deleted(False)           # skip deleted records

instead of

result = table.use_deleted
table.use_deleted = False

My question:  is this [ severely | mildly | not at all ] un-pythonic?

~Ethan~