Why Python allows comparison of a callable and a number?

一首诗 newptcai at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 07:03:30 EST 2009

I used python to write an assignment last week, here is a code snippet

#================================

def departTime():
    '''
    Calculate the time to depart a packet.
    '''
    if(random.random < 0.8):
        t = random.expovariate(1.0 / 2.5)
    else:
        t = random.expovariate(1.0 / 10.5)
    return t

Can you see the problem?  I compare random.random with 0.8,  which
should be random.random().

Of course this because of my careless, but I don't get it.  In my
opinion, this kind of comparison should invoke a least a warning in
any programming language.

So why does python just ignore it?