Python 3.1 cx_Oracle 5.0.2 "ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found."

André andrethehunter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 03:02:59 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to get Python 3.1 and cx_Oracle 5.02
(cx_Oracle-5.0.2-10g.win32-py3.0.msi) to connect to an Oracle
11.1.0.7.0 database via OraClient10g 10.2.0.3.0 with Pydev
1.5.1.1258496115 in Eclipse 20090920-1017 on Windows XP SP 3 v2002.
The import cx_Oracle line appears as an unresolved import and when I
run the application I get the following error to console:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "FILEPATHHERE", line 1, in <module>
    import cx_Oracle

Apparently the error is caused by cx_Oracle not being able to find the
Oracle client DLLs (oci.dll and others). The client home path and the
client home path bin directory are in the PATH System Variable and
oci.dll is there.

I tried getting the Oracle Instant Client (instantclient-basic-
win32-11.1.0.7.0.zip from http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/winsoft.html)
and installing it as directed. I added the instant client path to the
PATH System Variable but that didn't work either.

I have scoured the internet and have not found a solution.

Please help!