python compare and process a csv file

Siva Subramanian elpostssv at rediffmail.com
Tue Nov 3 10:43:20 EST 2009

Hello all,

I am new on this list and computer programming

I have two distinct statistical files (both csv)

1.
Report_2_5 – this is a report dump containing
over a 10 million records and is different every day

2.
Customer_id dump – this is a daily dump of
customers who have made payments. This is generally a million record

I need to extract past history depending on customers who make regular
payments

For example,

Report_2_5

Customer ID, Plan_NO, stat1, vol2, amount3

2134, Ins1, 10000, 20000, 10

2112, Ins3, 30000, 20000, 10

2121, Ins3, 30000, 20000, 10

2145, Ins2, 15000, 10000, 5

2245, Ins2, 15000, 10000, 5

0987, Ins1, 10000, 20000, 10

4546, Ins1, 10020, 21000, 10

6757, Ins1, 10200, 22000, 10

…

customer_id dump

0987

4546

6757

2134

I need to process the Report_2_5 and extract the following output

Stat1: 40220

Vol2 : 83000

Amount3 : 40

I am new to programming and I have been extracting this data using MS –
Access and I badly need a better solution.

Will really appreciate any sample code in python.

Thanks in advance

Siva