What text editor is everyone using for Python

Falcolas garrickp at gmail.com
Fri May 29 13:06:48 EDT 2009

I am a long time VIM user, and I likely will not change that. The
speed, ease of use and functionality, for me, is worth the time spent
learning how to use it.

My secondary editor on the desktop is UltraEdit, which does a fine job
as a text editor and has all the same functionality of VIM - yet
despite 2 years on it (they won't allow me GVIM at work), I can't get
to the same level of productivity with it as I can with VIM.

Ditto Eclipse... I spent more time figuring out how to get a program
to run properly than coding. The limited autocomplete and function
jump-list were not worth the pain of getting it working, IMO.

On May 29, 2:01 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> (1) Closed source editors have the same functional requirements as open
> source editors.
>
> (2) If you're waiting for perfection, you'll be waiting forever.
>
> (3) Why independent of the OS? When is the last time you've used a system
> without an OS? Forth programmers in the 1970s used an editor that was OS
> independent -- it managed files using its own unique file structure,
> managed memory itself, etc. Why do you want to go back there?

As to your points, Steven:

1) I would agree with this point. VI and it's children were written to
a different interpretation of said rules, however. They were built
around the speed at which a human can use a keyboard with natural
finger movements, at the expense of discoverability and intuitiveness.
2) VIM may not be perfect, but it's really darned close. ;-)
3) OS independence, IMO, is related more to the ability to use the
tool on every OS, rather than on the lack of an OS.