What text editor is everyone using for Python

Thu May 28 07:44:55 EDT 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:08:08 +0100, Paul Rudin wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:
>

>> * if possible, all functionality should be capable of being performed
>> by either the mouse or keyboard.
>
> I'd imagine that the requirement that *all* functionality can be
> performed with the mouse rules out many text editors. Almost the
> defining feature of a text editor is the ability to type text... which
> mostly happens with a keyboard.

Likewise graphics editors -- it's difficult if not impossible to edit an
image pixel by pixel using the keyboard. Hence the "if possible".

(Aside: It's really discouraging that, even on a technical newsgroup
where most of the people are relatively intelligent, the provisos and
qualifications I give seem to be ignored in favour of an unrealistically
extreme interpretation.)

I do recall once in the mid 1980s, using a Macintosh with a broken
keyboard. I was actually able to get useful work done by clicking letters
on a virtual keyboard (the "Keyboard" desk accessory for those who
remember it) and copying and pasting the text into the editor.

--
Steven