Python Socket Issues with VirtualBox

Luis Zarrabeitia kyrie at uh.cu
Wed May 27 12:35:09 EDT 2009

On Friday 22 May 2009 11:05:42 am Alan Franzoni wrote:
> TechieInsights was kind enough to say:
[...]
> My first guess would be that you didn't specify the interface to bind to,
> and the interface order changes once you install virtualbox since it
> possibly adds a virtual interface of its own,
[...]

And there is another possible cause: by default, virtualbox networking uses
nat. The virtual machine sees both a local interface with a private IP, and
a "router". The host, however, sees none, making it impossible to connect
_to_ the virtual machine, or to open a listening socket in the "router"'s IP.

--
Luis Zarrabeitia (aka Kyrie)
Fac. de Matemática y Computación, UH.