What text editor is everyone using for Python

Bar Shirtcliff barshirtcliff at gmail.com
Tue May 26 11:49:30 EDT 2009

Ken Seehart writes:

| Lacrima wrote:
| > I am new to python.
| > And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
| > But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
| > So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?
| >

| I've heard notepad is pretty good.  http://www.notepad.org/
|
| :-) Ken

Seriously.  I actually know a programmer who does all of his work in
notepad: no macros, syntax-highlighting, or any other robust features,
plus that horrible font.

I use emacs.  No alternative presentation rivals, for me, the ability
to program your editor while you use it.  Never having to reach for
the mouse in emacs is a terrific (and optional) bonus.

I guess it depends on how you work.  If you're willing to invest a
fair amount of time in your editor and you like the idea of being able
to drastically modify your editor while you use it, you should
consider emacs.  Emacs has a good on-line help system, including a
friendly emacs lisp introduction.  If you're using a Mac, check out
Aquamacs Emacs.

I can't say a thing about other editors, except that when some shell
script perversely dumped me into vi a month ago, I felt as horrified
as if some actually living bugs had crawled out of my own reflection
on the computer screen and fallen, clicking and scraping, onto the
keyboard.  That's a personal reaction - totally irrelevant, of course.

Bar