which database is suitable for small applications

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue May 26 09:40:48 EDT 2009

On May 26, 8:16 am, J Kenneth King <ja... at agentultra.com> wrote:
> Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic... at sequans.com> writes:
> > Kalyan Chakravarthy wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>           can any one suggest me which database I can use for my
> >> small application(to store user names ,passwords, very few other
> >> data.. )
> >> I am using Python, Google Apps and guide me how to connect to
> >> database, I am very new to these technologies
>
> >> Please help me
>
> >> Thanks in advance
>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >> Kalyan
>
> > If you are really new to these technologies and don't want to spend
> > some time on it, just serialize on the disk your data structure
> > containing your names, password and so on
> > (http://docs.python.org/library/pickle.html).
> > Depending on your application you may not be that concerned with
> > security/reliability issues.
>
> > Of course if you want to learn more about it, go on. I personally use
> > postgreSQL with the pgdb python module. But this is the only one I
> > ever used so I'll let someone else more familiar with all the database
> > types respond to you.
>
> > Jean-Michel
>
> sqlite is also a pretty lite database. Sits in a single file and the
> libraries ship with Python (> 2.6 I think? or maybe 2.5?).

Sqlite starting shipping with Python 2.5.

I use SqlAlchemy to connect to Microsoft SQL 2000 right now, but I
used to use the mssql and adodb modules. The latter two worked for
what I needed, although I was always running to escaping issues with
them. SqlAlchemy is nice because it does all that for you and you can
switch database back-ends with little to no change in your code.

- Mike