What text editor is everyone using for Python

Tue May 26 05:10:41 EDT 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009 19:23:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <pan.2009.05.26.06.39.41 at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au>,
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 May 2009 18:31:56 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> In message <d6d05d39-98e7-4c28-
>>> b201-4b2445732ab4 at v35g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, LittleGrasshopper

>>> I don't understand why people need "syntax files" to use a text
>>> editor.
>>
>> Do you want syntax highlighting?
>
> Why?

The human visual system is evolved to detect, and respond to, differences
in the frequency of light entering the eye. This is called "colour", and
colour can be used to make certain things stand out more than others, or
fade more into the background. *wink*

The use of colour not only increases the bandwidth of information
entering the brain, but it can be used to discriminate between what's
important and what isn't. Personally, I find that it is worth having
syntax highlighting just to get comments displayed in grey instead of
black. Everything else is a bonus: e.g. I can instantly tell if I
neglected to close a string, because my code displays in red.

--
Steven