error in tutorial for 3.0, section 9.3.3

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Sat May 23 11:35:48 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net>wrote:

> Thank you that makes sense to me. Much more clear then the tutorial, I
> think so anyway. If you are learning about classes that you kinda expect
> MyClass to have counter in it. I might be nice to show that x.counter = 1
> creates an instance that would look like (is this correct?)
>
> class MyClass:
>     """A simple example class"""
>     i = 12345
>     counter = 1
>     def f(self):
>         return 'hello world'

That's how it would work in almost any language other than Python. In
Python, anything declared in that scope is a member of the class. For
something immutable like an int, it doesn't matter. If you can change it
however, you get problems. This is one of the biggest sources of problems
for python beginners (you get the same behavior with default method
arguments btw)

>>> class Foo :
...    lst = []
>>> a = Foo()
>>> b = Foo()
>>> b.lst
[]
>>> a.lst.append(1)
>>> b.lst
[1]

In Python, if you want something to be a part of the instance, you have to
add it to the instance. That's what the "self" parameter in the method
argument list is. x.f() is just syntax sugar for MyClass.f(x). Dynamically
adding variables can get very confusing, so people usually declare
everything (or almost everything) they're going to use in the __init__
method discussed in section 9.3.2.