Optimizing math functions

Sat May 23 09:55:43 EDT 2009

On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:22:59 -0400, Esmail wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to maximize or minimize a given math function over a
> specific set of values, in Python preferably.
> What it apparently can't do is for maximize (or minimize) functions that
> contain two variables, x and y, or more.

Function minimization is a well-studied problem. You will find oodles of
references to doing function minimization if you google. In fact, if you
google for "python function minimization" you should find about 63,000
links.

Minimizing functions of two variables is difficult, as a general rule.
Nevertheless, there are tools for doing so. Check out SciPy.

--
Steven