making a python program in windows

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Thu May 21 08:09:49 EDT 2009

rustom <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> i suppose the question is entirely about setting properly (and
> grokking) file associations -- why is a .py file associated with
> pythonw and not python? And is making this association right enough to
> make a .py file in windows behave like a shebang file in unix?

I think the question about the file association is one you have to answer
for yourself. When you install Python it associates .pyw with pythonw and
.py with python. If something on your system has changed this the best
thing you can do is to change it back.

Try typing the following commands and then fixing any differences by typing
the expected output as the command parameter
(e.g. "assoc .py=Python.File"):

C:\>assoc .py
.py=Python.File

C:\>assoc .pyw
.pyw=Python.NoConFile

C:\>ftype Python.file
Python.file="C:\Python26\python.exe" "%1" %*

C:\>ftype Python.NoConFile
Python.NoConFile="C:\Python26\pythonw.exe" "%1" %*