Package problem

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue May 19 18:46:15 EDT 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009 00:40:28 +0900, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The discussion has nothing to do with setuptools, or even python for
> that matter.

It has everything to do with python....

> on any system (including windows). That's why you should avoid
> installing from sources into the locations managed by the OS, be it
> /usr for unix, or C:\Windows on windows, etc...

I actually kind of agree with what you're saying here. Under Linux
it seems to me that users shouldn't be playing around in the
bowels of /usr/.... or anything lower...

but....

site-packages is the directory that one would want to keep
python packages in. That should be a developer/sysop area
and not owned and run by the o/s.

maybe... maybe... although too late now (?) somewhere
like /etc/site-packages might be a lot better place to
keep ones site packages. Or /opt.

Under windows in python 2.6, they have this concept of
user-packages.

One could easily also apply that concept to linux and
have a /home/user/.user-packages directory in which
one could keep all ones user packages.

> The problem is that overwriting files managed by the
> software management system without its consent is bound to be broken,

Something like what I describe above would totally
satisfy linux system organisation requirements.

David