Performance java vs. python

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Tue May 19 13:42:28 EDT 2009

>> >This distinction is IMHO not correct. If you took a look at Java, you
>> would
>> >notice that the core language syntax is much simpler than Python's.
>>
>> That's half-true.  The problem is that you have to digest a much bigger
>> chunk of Java before you can start being productive.  Consider how simple
>> it is to write a non-regex grep in Python.  In addition, Python's object
>> model is simpler than Java's, not even talking about the contortions that
>> Java's static class model forces you into.
>

> I am new to Python. I am slowly realizing that Python might be a better
> choice when compared to java on the server side. Is there any performance
> comparison between Java and Python ? For example, if I use the J2EE solution
> vs. python (Django etc.) on the server side, would one perform better over
> the other ?

Benchmarks always test for a given feature. The available benchmarks
will most likely not test the feature relevant for your particular
application simply because there are about a gazillion different ways
of using a web framework. So the best you can do is simply test the
bottleneck part of your application and see for yourself, otherwise
you will be left with comments like "django is used at work because
it's faster for us" or "I use j2ee because performance is better for
my web app". When it will come to choosing your framework these will
help little to none.

Cheers,
Daniel