Subversion commit from Python?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue May 19 10:51:33 EDT 2009

Jack Trades wrote:

> On May 19, 3:53 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l... at geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> In message <ac63e27e-2dd9-4c27-ace0-
>>
>> d9e205be7... at s31g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>, Jack Trades wrote:

>> > I'm not 100% sure, but I think it had to do with executable
>> > permissions on the cgi scripts.
>>
>> Possibly your CGI scripts are running as some user like "nobody", which
>> doesn't have the right access to the files/directories. Changing APIs
>> won't help here.
>
> Thanks for the help, I'll have to look into that further.  If that is
> the case, would setuid be appropriate here?  Or is there a better way
> to give the script the appropriate permissions?
> The only thing that baffles me is that the script works before a
> commit and only sometimes after a commit, if it were an access problem
> wouldn't it fail before the commit as well?

I have had many troubles with SVN + permissions.

My recipe is the following:

 - create (or use) a "subversion"-group
 - make all users (including e.g. www-data) that shall access the SVN
members of this group
 - chown -R the svn-repository so that it belongs to this group
 - chmod g+s -R to the svn-repository, so that the sticky group bit is set.

THis solves the problems for me usually.

Diez