Package problem

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue May 19 10:13:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009 15:45:42 +0900, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
wrote:
> There is no simple solution to the following situation:
>    - install setuptools from ubuntu...

When I have a ubuntu system I will try it....

> But still, the whole
> value of ..(python).. is to have a whole set of packages which
> are tested together. Updating packages 'randomly' from 3rd party
> sources is inherently against this.

Well I presume pypi goes a long way to offering this...

I've used easy_install a few hundred times manually now and I've
noticed some incorrect outcomes. For example, downloading a
package marked debian into my windows system... and wondering
why it didn't work....

for most packages... it seems to work quite well though..

I think the issue is really that if we can do tests and count
test results.. we'll probably get a lot further than we have
in the past.

We seem to be at the 85% mark... next stop should be 95% or
at least some known and measurable number...

I'm fully agreeing it can get better...

David