How can i use Spread Sheet as Data Store

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 19 09:50:18 EDT 2009

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:51:57 +0530
> Kalyan Chakravarthy <kalyanchakravarthy at hyit.com> wrote:
>> Actually my requirement is
>> in an web application when user enters User name and Password,
>> back end i needs to check, is it they entered correct user name with
>> password ( here i want to read the Spread Sheet Data in Python code  ),
>> for this i will keep all the user names and passwords in Google Spread Sheet
>
> I can't answer your question about reading Google spreadsheets but I do
> wonder why you are trying to solve a database problem with a
> spreadsheet in the first place, especially with all the support Python
> has for database access.

Hardly even a database problem.  OP only needs a dict mapping username
to passwd.  Of course, that could grow...

An issue not touched on is that passwords should *not* be kept in
plaintext form.  Hence the data store should be written by program and
not hand-edited.  With a small dict kept in memory, a pickle might work
fine.

tjr