Package problem

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue May 19 00:53:18 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:31 PM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I guess paraphrased you are saying "don't touch your packages"..
>
> To my point of view, the needs of the developer override the
> priorities of the O/S house...
>
> We should expect "old" packages on our systems from the O/S
>
> and have an easier way to update them to whatever we want..
>
> That's why imho, we can benefit with a package manager tool
> that can do just that. I just don't have anything running
> on ubuntu just yet - sadly.

Given that nobody has managed to solve this problem, I doubt you will
find a solution. If there was a reasonable solution, it would have
already been developed. Solutions for developers include independent
environments, avoiding dependencies as much as possible, and
controlling everything by yourself. Trying to fight the OS deployment
system is thinking backward IMHO.

cheers,

David