Help with Tkinter on OS X --- driving me insane!

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Sun May 17 11:20:54 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> >EG> Any attempt to do anything with Tkinter (save import) raises the
> >EG> following show-stopping error:
>
> >EG> "Traceback (most recent call last):
> >EG>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> >EG>   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
> >EG> python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1645, in __init__
> >EG>     self._loadtk()
> >EG>   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
> >EG> python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1659, in _loadtk
> >EG>     % (_tkinter.TK_VERSION, tk_version)
> >EG> RuntimeError: tk.h version (8.4) doesn't match libtk.a version (8.5)"
>
> >EG> As you can see, I'm running the vanilla install python on OS X 10.5.7.
> >EG> Does anyone know how I can fix this? Google searches have yielded
> >EG> results ranging from suggestions it has been fixed (not for me) to
> >EG> recommendations that the user rebuild python against a newer version
> >EG> of libtk (which I have no idea how to do).
>
> >EG> I would greatly appreciate any assistance the community can provide on
> >EG> the matter.
>
> Have you installed Tk version 8.5?
>
> If so, remove it. You might also install the latest 8.4 version.

There were a couple bugs in the 2.6.0 installer that stopped Tkinter from
working and this error message was given by one of them[1]. The python
installer looked in /System/Library before /Library/, so it used the System
Tk. The linker looks in /Library first so it found the user installed Tk and
used that instead. You then get a version mismatch. Try reinstalling Python
(use 2.6.2 if you're not already). That should get it to link with the
proper Tk.

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue4017